Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bored - On holiday (from work that is)

I think I'm one of those people who always has to be doing something. At university, we have 10 week semesters followed by a 1 week down week where sometimes there's work but occasionally there isn't. This week is one such week. Hanh is currently studying a second diploma in the evenings so there isn't really the opportunity to travel as outside the cities the language barrier is a little too much for me to be comfortable with.

This week I've been a little ill. I've had sharp pains in my stomach which have stopped me eating properly and therefore having a cheeky pint or 2 probably wouldn't be the best thing to do! Immediately 2 of my favourite things are taken out of the equation. Also, exercise hasn't really been a good idea either! I decided (in my infinite wisdom) that I should run 7 km with terrible tummy pains and an empty stomach! After about 2.5 miles I started to feel ropey, and a little while later I was faint and dizzy. Apparently, hot temperatures and not being at 100% health isn't conducive to good running! It was probably worsened by the medicine I'm taking at the moment to reduce severe swelling in my thumb.

So what've I been doing this week?

Wasting it! Well that's not strictly true. I've been catching up on some much needed sleep. I spent the best part of Monday with the in laws celebrating my father-in-laws 53rd birthday which was really nice, especially being the first time I'd seen them since we came back from England.


We ate great food, drank white chocolate Irish cream and sang karaoke. It was a fun weekend!

Apart from that I've generally been watching tv, talking on the internet and procrastinating! I've recently started watching the National Geographic channel and I've learned a whole load of interesting but useless information! I'm hoping that our quiz master Steve is a fan so I can actually answer some questions at our company's quarterly quiz! I was also disappointed that the sports channels here didn't show the test series between England and Bangladesh so I had to watch the text commentary on the BBC website. I'm not sure if that makes me dedicated or just plain sad!

Finally, why am I procrastinating? Well I should be studying for an assignment that is due in a couple of weeks but it's been a while since I've studied so my discipline isn't what it once was back in the day! Also, I have a medical insurance form I should fill in after I had x-rays taken for my thumb, but thus far I've filled in my name and that's about it! Furthermore I could've started preparing for my classes next week. However, I feel slightly vindicated by this one as we haven't had the final timetable for the new classes yet so the level I teach may change...

All in all, I've had a pretty unproductive week! I haven't even cut my hair yet (not sure I'm gonna but I'm pretty sure I'll lose a kilo if I do!), let alone done any of the things I set out to do. That being said, I do feel well rested and pretty chilled and relaxed. Anyhows, I suppose I really should do some reading for my class this afternoon and as you've guessed, writing this largely pointless blog entry is yet more procrastinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment