Thursday, May 13, 2010

Strange (to me) Beliefs - Part 2: Fortune Tellers


Driving on a busy, bumpy, pot holed road isn't the easiest of tasks at the best of times but it was made a touch more difficult as I had something on my mind. You see, I was on my way to the future Mrs' house to ask her parents for their permission to marry their daughter. As it turns out it was all rather anti-climatical, almost like asking someone to borrow a cup of sugar. Anyways, we (or rather I) was asked when the big day would be. I plucked a random weekend in the future and that was that.

Now I'm not all that clued up about traditions in Vietnam so the next part was a bit of a shock to me. About two weeks after, Hanh informed me that the date I'd picked was fine. Wait a minute I thought, of course it's fine. It's my choice, so if I want that day, that's when it'll happen.

Well much like events last week in Downing Street and Westminister, a secret meeting had taken place. Not to form a coalition, but between Hanh's family and the fortune teller. Apparently it's custom here to visit a 'mystic meg' to see if certain dates are lucky or unlucky. Fortunately I chose correctly as I don't believe in any of that rubbish. However, many couples in Vietnam will specifically chose a date which will bring them good luck. For me, the only positive of this system is that if you chose an unlucky day and it doesn't work out you can blame it on destiny!

I'm not sure what would've happened if had been told that the date that I'd chosen was unlucky and had to be moved. In all honesty I think I'd have just said I don't believe in that nonsense and risked upsetting a few people in the process. Perhaps I would've just accepted it but I'll never know. Sometimes I can be too stubborn for my own good and fortunately this wasn't tested. Hopefully there aren't lucky or unlucky dates to have children as I'm pretty sure any offspring of mine, if they're anything like me, won't want to make life too straight forward!!!

1 comment:

  1. Đây là trang nhạc của các webmaster vn nhacf.com - được viết với mục đích chỉ để nghe nhạc.

    Trang nhạc trình bày đơn giản nhanh gọn chuyên nghiệp, nghe nhạc nhanh, tìm kiếm bhát dễ dàng.

    Mới chỉ có ít người biết đến. nhưng nhacf được dân lập trình đánh giá rất cao về chất lượng và cách thể hiện.

    Để làm trang web giống như nhacf.com, bạn có thể dùng blogspot để tạo & copy sourcecode của nó ở đây

    Phù hợp với ~ người có sở thích đơn giản nhanh gọn và muốn khám phá..

    ReplyDelete