Sunday, July 18, 2010

Life's unanswered questions

How do they fill cash machines?

Now, I'm one of life's thinkers, but I can't for the life of me figure out when or how atms are filled. It all came to me a couple of months ago. You see, I was in Nha Trang and I needed some dong. I drove around the town and stopped off at a couple of Techcombank hole in the walls only to find them say 'Out of service - Sorry for any inconvenience'. Now, it's not like they have a lunch break or they need to relieve themselves so I couldn't figure out why there were out of service! And secondly, of course it was inconvenient, I needed money!!

Anyways, a little further a field and I eventually found an TCB atm. Before you say anything, it had to be Techcom as I get charged if I use another cash machine with my Visa card and I resent having to pay to access my own money. I'd much rather waste my time instead! Back to the story, I rocked up to the terminal and selected cash withdrawal. It read 'only 430,000 VND available'. In GBP that works out to be about 15 of the queen's finest. Needless to say I took all of it's remaining cash. I had forfilled a life times ambition to empty an ATM. But how and when would it be filled? And how will the bank be informed?


Ok, the final question is probably easy enough to answer. I'm sure there's a Techcom bank worker who drives around and checks them all every hour every day. He will then call the bank to tell TCB that there machine needs filling. Alternatively it could be done by computer ;-)

But how many of you have seen an ATM being refilled? I haven't. In 15 years (or however long it's been) I have never once seen a cash point having its insides replaced. So this leads me to the following conclusions:

1) Atms simply print new money. Ocassionally it gives old notes, but this is because it wants to trick us all.
2) There is a secret door (when it's in a wall) behind it and a man comes in when nobody is looking to restore it to its former glory.
3) Somehow there's a magic trap door underneath it. Secret passages can be found underneath them and they are filled from underground.

If anybody knows the answer to this conundrum, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Seen them refilled a few times mate, they just send one of those security vans along and so it. Sorry, ruined the fun there didnt I :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't supposed to answer that with something sensible lol! I won't believe it until I see it!

    ReplyDelete