Sunday, July 4, 2010

Return to normality?

The last month has been crazy. Too much sport, beer and people leaving Vietnam. You won't usually hear me complaining about the first two, but my whole body is aching for a dry spell, especially as I haven't been able to do sport for 6 weeks which means I'm not in the shape I'd like to be.

(Major) Sports (event) overload


As a sport nut, the amount of televised events at the moment is unbelievable! We've had the home nations going to the Southern Hemisphere (rugby union), The World Cup (Football), The Australia vs England ODI series (cricket) and the Wimbledon grass court championship (Tennis). Now of course there has been the European F1 races, Aussie Rules football (which I've just got into) and the State of Origin Rugby League so how is one supposed to do any work! Well it's been quite tricky and I'm sure that Hanh will be looking forward to these events drawing to a close this week. I have almost quite literally been glued to the TV for the last month and the time difference means that I've been going to bed later and later. This isn't a problem for my job because I start teaching at 1pm so I can lie in, but it'd certainly be better if I went to the land of zzzz a bit earlier.

Beer

Obviously, where there is sport, there's often beer involved. And at present, I seem to be finding it difficult to say no to one more! The beer in Vietnam is ridiculously cheap so it doesn't leave too much of a dent in the wallet. I've also developed a liking for Long Island Iced Tea which probably isn't the best thing for the liver! It also means that a lot of mornings have been written off. I fully intended on going to cricket training yesterday morning and to score my team's game today but I woke up on the wrong side of midday on both occasions. On the up, I managed to say 'No' today and just drank a fruit juice after the match so I'm pretty proud about that!

People leaving

EFL is a very transient business. People come and go all the time. Most people tend to stay in one job or country for about a year so the expat community is constantly changing. This can be hard as living abroad your friendships tend to build very quickly. As there aren't so many of us about, those that you get on with tend to become very close to you. In the last 6 months, 3 of my good friends have all gone and it's a little upsetting. Some people working in English Teaching try not to form friendships for this very reason. While it could act a good protection mechanism, I can't understand it myself as our relationships with other people are what we tend to remember and value more than other aspects of life. Anyway, we've had a bit of Leaving Party overload so I'm going to be happy if we get a period of stability. To those who have left us, I wish you all the best in your future exploits!!

2 comments:

  1. You're the first I know that has! I hope it's the start of a new trend! Long may it continue!!

    ReplyDelete