Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'm having a baby....apparently!

Firstly, let me take this chance to wish everyone a Happy New Year. I hope that 2011 brings health, success and happiness to everyone! Additionally, I'd also like to apologise for the lack of blogs recently. I'll be catching up shortly, but life has been pretty hectic recently as the title of this blog might suggest!

So, let's go back to the beginning. About 2 months ago, I decided I wanted a cat. Unfortunately, pets living indoors isn't the norm in Vietnam, and Hanh wasn't (isn't) very keen on the idea. I joked and said 'if I can have a cat, you can have a baby'.

Then, 6 weeks ago, Hanh and I went to Manila on football tour with my team the Saigon Raiders. We played extremely well, qualified unbeaten from our group and reached the semi-final. Unfortunately, we got beaten in extra time by the eventual champions Manila Nomads who were the home team. We then went to a third-fourth place penalty shoot-out. Some of my team mates recalled a conversation we had all had the previous evening. I promised Hanh that she could have a baby when I scored my first Raiders goal. Despite protesting that tournament goals don't count, I was overruled and selected to take the first penalty. To make a bad situation worse, my 'mates' decided to speak to the tournament MC who announced the situation over the mega phone. So what to do? Slot the penalty and face the consequences, sky it and let the team down or hope the keeper saves it? Well, being a team player, I tried to do the first option while hoping for the third. I put it down the middle, the keeper dived to my left and 1-0 Raiders! Although we lost the shoot-out, again in sudden death, we had some great performances in the side and a wicked night out after!


After that, for about 2-3 weeks, not a lot happened. That is until, Henno, a South African friend of mine, asked me if I could cat sit for a week before Crimbo. I duly obliged, and Millie came to stay for a week. Whilst she's a lovely cat, after 2-3 days she drove me nuts! At 5am she would jump on the bed with her plastic mouse wanting to play. When I was getting changed, she would climb up my trousers and hang onto my shirt as if she was saying 'where do you think you're going!' And on the few occasions when I do work at home, she would work over my keyboard to practice her typing! So, grumpy from a couple of sleepless nights from a crying cat, I get a call from Hanh while I was at work...


To cut a long short story shorter, she informed me that she was pregnant with our first child. I got my cat, and she got her baby! Unfortunately, for me, Millie had to go home, and I'm not allowed a cat. I have been promised that we are allowed to cat sit again in the future (probably when Hanh wants another baby). And for those of you wondering, she's about 7 weeks pregnant. Which more or less coincides with when the tournament MC said 'Jones scores, and then he scores!'

I'm not a great believer in old wife's tales and not saying anything until 12 weeks isn't my style so I've been telling everyone I meet! It's pretty exciting if not a little scary. Hanh's had 2 scans so far, and to be honest, I can't really make anything out. We went to the hospital yesterday and the doctor said all was well and we heard the little heart beat. It was a surreal moment and I must admit to being a little overwhelmed. It sounded like mini fireworks going off which is quite fitting coming just after new years. Fingers crossing that all will go well :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! Congrats you two!! Now I definitely need to make some time to come visit. ^_^ Are you two still planning to come over to Korea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! Still plan to come over, but now money is more important than ever!! My plan of Lunar New Year can't happen now, but as soon as time and money permits we'll be across! You're more than welcome to visit anytime! How are things with you?

    ReplyDelete